Jan 20, 2012

First day in Turlock

After 11 hours driving, I finally arrived at the new town named Turlock on Monday. I felt very quiet town and felt there are a few people live in there.

First thing I had to do was to open my electricity account because I cannot get a key of new apartment without new account. I found a duck in front of the office of the electricity company. I felt this is kinda rural area. After procedure of opening my new account, I went to my new apartment before appointment time. I brought my passport as ID, new electricity account number, and check book to pay for rental fee. However, there was a problem. The office staff said that they couldn't accept the check. They accept only "Cashier's Check" or "Money Order." I misunderstood "Cashier's Check" and "Personal Check." At that time, I thought I had to wait until next day because it was a national holiday and any banks are not open and I cannot get Cashier's check. But the apartment staff told me that CVS, a pharmacy, serves "Money Order" at their store despite they are just a pharmacy!

After that, I went to Chase bank because only cash is the way to get money order at CVS. Another problem occred. I need over $1,000 but I could withdraw only $500 per day. I anyway withdraw $500 and then left Chase. Suddenly, I found Citi bank along the street. Yes, I have a bank account at Citi, too!! In my Citi bank account, my total amount of money was just $500. It was very lucky. Then I got money order and finally got into the new apartment. If I did not have enough cash, I had had to be a homeless one day!

The new apartment is very old building. It was built in 1973. I've never lived in such old house. Anyway, I went to Walmart and got basic furniture at the first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment