May 17, 2014

Harvard professor's comment for graduates of MBA

I read an article on the Internet. The author seems to be a student of HBS (Harvard Business School). He introduced a impressive last lecture of a popular professor.

(I bet the original one would be English but the article was in Japanese, so I re-translate into English.)

"When I was young, I used to work for an university, and my wife used to work for a big company. My wife liked her workplace and had been enjoying her job. On the other hand, I was suffering from my research and anxious about my future. One day, an university in a country side offered me to be an associate professor, and I accepted it due to improve my career.

My career turned up better, and I was almost reaching my tenure. However, the university located in the middle of a rural area, and it was impossible for my wife to find a job. My wife's career had stopped and her energy was under the incomplete combustion. Our arguments were getting more frequent. Eventually, my home became non-relaxable place...

One day, I just realized that I had lived with valuing what is important. Even if my career got better, reaching happiness would be impossible if my family (household) was not doing well. Despite my wife is my better half, have I ever though how important her life is.

Eventually, even though my tenure was almost gotten, I quited the job in the university and decided to move in Boston. My wife got a job there and could re-start her new career. My household became a source of my vital spark again. After a while, I got a job offer from HBS and have been teaching for you guys as an associate professor. I'm still far from my tenure but have an invaluable happy family. Moving in Boston was the best judge in my life."

According to the article, this professor concluded, "Honor the dream of your partner."


Majority of MBA holders, especially those who graduate from the top ranked school, would pursue their brilliant career with higher salary and higher reputation. However, really important things would not be those but something irreplaceable.





No comments:

Post a Comment